Breathless

Having never seen a Godard film prior to class, I have to say I really enjoyed it. It had a very distinct feel I haven’t felt in any other film we’ve watched before and it was constantly entertaining. It was great to see a filmmaker take the risks Godard took.

The music for me was a standout. Hearing the concept of the movie before we watched it, I didn’t expect it to have that upbeat jazzy soundtrack especially in the opening sequence with Michel in the car. I expected it to clash with the rest of the movie but it worked perfectly and I ended up constantly waiting for the music to begin in scenes because I liked it so much.

I actually really liked the jump cuts. It gave it that “Godard touch” that not just any filmmaker can pull off. I remember before we started the film Prof. Herzog said that we might think Michel is a bad person throughout yet we can’t help but think he’s cool. Afterwards I totally agreed with this. He was this cool, smooth talking guy but he treated women badly, stole money, and had the police chasing him. Even being aware of this, I couldn’t help but watch him and think he is cool in some way. Overall, this was a great introduction for me into the world of Godard and its one of my favorites we’ve watched in class. Will definately be checking out more of his stuff.

BTW- Twelve Monkeys is one of my favorites and having seen it many, many times and owning the dvd I thouth La Jetee was really cool and unique and it didn’t surprise me at all to find out that it was the inspiration for Twelve Monkeys because there were so so many similarities and their endings are pretty much the same.

5 Responses to “Breathless”

1. mjanczewski Says:

Michel was quite the character in this film. He had a “cool” demeanor and really kept me amused even though he was a trouble maker and overall terrible guy. I give this film two thumbs up! 🙂

2. Sinyee Cindy Leung Says:

I like the jump cuts too and I think this is the reason why the film is “constantly entertaining”.
    I was VERY surprised by La Jetee! And it reminds me that, after all, film is a combination of many still photos.

3. Mathias Kranacher Says:

I totally enjoyed this film! I loved the jump cuts. It gave it such a realistic feel and I love films like that. I can’t remember the name, something like Last Summer, Early Summer, but anyway lol, it reminded me of that because the movie barely had any camera movement. This film had movement obviously, but the way the movement was, and the jump cuts, gave it the feel that the camera was just set up in a room and the director said “okay, act!” I love films that feel real.

4. Carlene Faith Says:

I completely agree! I honestly loved the music I thought it brought such a great feeling to the film, and I also loved Michel’s character in the way that he was the cool guy that although sometimes you just wanted to smack you just couldn’t help but love! I thought the movie was quite lovely and I thought the jump cuts gave it character, made it feel more real and less overly perfect as many films are.

5. tiêm filler môi sưng mấy ngày Says:

tiêm filler môi sưng mấy ngày

maya's blog